The Multiclass event hosted at the Victorian Interschools since 2013 is an opportunity for capable skiers and snowboarders with a physical or intellectual impairment, from any Victorian School, to participate in a fun and inclusive environment. Please click here for more information on the 2020 Multiclass program which will occur during the Victorian Interschools.
The VISC is proud to announce that the 2020 Victorian Interschools Snowsports Championships will include the Victorian Interschools Multiclass Event, to be held on Wednesday 26th August. This event, which has come about due to the efforts of a small group of parents and teachers, in conjunction with VISC; provides young people, with a physical or intellectual impairment, with the opportunity to compete at Victorian Interschools in their own event. To be eligible, participants must be able to ski or snowboard competently and unassisted down a blue run, independently ride a chair lift, have parent or guardian supervision at Mt Buller and arrange their own accommodation and transport to and from Mt Buller.
Divisions will replicate existing mainstream events with both individual and team races across all Divisions. Around 25 participants are expected to compete, and the event will also include a number of invitation competitors involved in the Special Olympics pathway.
The key objectives of the event are to:
- Offer a Multiclass Snowsports event for young people with a physical or intellectual impairment and, through inclusion as part of the mainstream Interschools event, promote acceptance for all and foster understanding and respect within the wider community
- Develop a greater sense of opportunity and inclusion for all within the Alpine community through a common love of skiing / boarding and achieve respect and recognition from their peers and the wider community.
- Provide an opportunity for students with special needs to demonstrate courage and compete safely and confidently against their peers in a race environment.
With the inclusion of a several of athletes with physical impairments in 2016, a classification system for physically impaired athletes has been developed in line with Para sport events as follows:
- Multiclass – Intellectual impairment
- Multiclass P1 – Visual Impairment
- Multiclass P2 – Sit ski
- Multiclass P3a – Standing (loss of, or limited use of upper limbs)
- Multiclass P3b – Standing (loss of, or limited use of upper and lower limbs)
- Multiclass P3c – Standing (loss of, or impaired use of both upper & lower limbs) e.g. Cerebral Palsy
For further information regarding opportunities to participate in this event please contact Cally Bauman at firstname.lastname@example.org. Entries close Monday 10th August 2020.